Thursday, April 1, 2021

Aviatrix That's Me


Here we go. The start of the A to Z challenge 2021 edition. During the year I make lists of ideas as they pop into my head. Then comes the tough decision, what to choose each day.

 #AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter A

I struggled with  A. I always do for some reason.

Then it hit me. Aviation! Aviatrix! Even better, a female pilot. Last Spring I succumbed to my husbands desire for me to learn how to land. There are classes for folks like me who fly with a pilot all the time & may need to land in an emergency. I already had an avenue...

 We inherited this plane from my Dad.  The husband of one of the doctors I worked for, Scott, got his instructors license around the same time .This was all a decade ago. He took the above picture a few winters back. That's me waving in the cockpit.

 My husband jumped at the chance to become a pilot. We had a plane & an instructor.

I have been in small planes since I was 6. Flying a plane is easy. No roads, no stop lights. Landing is a whole different deal.  It's like patting your head, rubbing your stomach, and tap dancing all at the same time.  Scott, gave me 2 hours of free instruction when I retired 4 years ago. Hubby got me far along on the process, then it was time to get Scott involved.  I am at the point I am comfortable with the set up & consistently land myself.  The goal has been met. We are moving forward on my landings being "elegant" in Scott's word. That's where I am now. Honing my new skills. It is exciting, gratifying, terrifying, mind focusing...you get the idea. A nice way to spend a fair amount of time in the past year.

 North Fox Island was a great get away for us this past summer. Only way to get there is by small aircraft. Check out the post from  3 years ago. We spent 16 days total on the island last summer. Got a bigger tent, better camp stove, good water filter, and more bug spray. This is our camp site next to the grass runway.

           We got to become part of the mowing crew for the runway. It's a huge job!                                     Rather gratifying & relaxing.


 This topic felt a great way to start off my  "what sparks joy for me" theme.

 An important thought to revisit every day over the past year





        I gotta get busy now with the rest of the alphabet. First one is always the toughest. 

Tomorrow will be food related.


9 comments:

  1. What a great story!

    This year, I'm posting:
    Art work: https://www.anne-m-bray.com/blog
    and
    Shoes: https://repeatsamb.blogspot.com/search/label/A-Z%202021

    ReplyDelete
  2. You say flying is easy, but there is no way I'd be able to do it! I don't like riding in planes! Oh, landing. I know someone who forgot they bought a new plane that didn't have automatic landing gear, and she came down. Oh, her husband was furious! Actually, he became her ex-husband, hopefully not just for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating and inspirational. I see you're in Traverse City. I'm a few hours south of you, near Grand Haven.

    If you want to check out my A2Z, I'm doing Jethro Tull songs:
    https://tao-talk.com/2021/04/01/a2z-2021-jethro-tull-songs-day-1-aqualung-from-aqualung-1971/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see you back! The Adobe capture post caught my eye. have fun with the A to Z this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What I cool skill. I can't even imagine trying to land a plane. I love that you can get away to such remote destinations. Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm terrified of flying! I always thought if I could learn to fly the thing myself I'd do better in the air with someone else. It's all about what you know. This is such a cool capability you have!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.