Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Walnut Ink

 
 
The last of my walnut stash. Aren't they gorgeous?
Haven't made my own walnut ink in awhile.  
 

I had jars in the freezer for some time. All used  up now.

If you don't freeze it this happens.


Not to worry. It skims off in one piece with no harm to the ink. 
Another version of the process is well described here.


I have an old enamel pot that I use out doors to boil the hulls. Gets rather stinky.
Our newer camp stove will be great for this.  
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Currently using the store bought variety. This is the real deal. 
 
There are other "walnut" inks out there that are made from peat. 
They come in the form of crystals you mix with water.
 Convenient and it is fine but I prefer the real thing.

 
Whatever variety you use you get this lovely deep somewhat translucent effect. 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

2 comments:

  1. It's a waste of nuts to use whole nuts for ink. I use only the outer (green) husks and eat my nuts ;) I also use walnut husks for dyeing of wool, as one walnut tree produces husks enough for several gallons of ink. Shaggy mane also makes a decent, but smelly! ink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only ever used walnut ink (of the store bought variety) once but love the idea of making your own. I do love how it looks. Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.