Monday, April 22, 2019

Salt Letter S A to Z Challenge



Do you know the history of salt? Interesting commodity.



 

Salt plays a vital role in food & our health.



Meet Samin Nosrat. It all started when a friend told me about her Netflix 4 part series:
 Salt Fat Acid Heat. Watched them all, loved her personality, where she traveled to dive deep into each element, & the cooking. The chemistry of cooking is very important. 
That is what she explains in detail in her own style.

I'm guessing if you like to cook & look up stuff on the web at all 
you have heard of her, the series, & the book of the same name. 

My older son who loves to cook was also taken with her. I got this fancy embossed 
version of the book for Christmas from him!


Notice the mention of Wendy MacNaughton as the artist. 
More on her on  "W" day.



 I use this salt almost exclusively, for everything. Samin's advice is 
if you have the iodized old style version we all grew up with, throw it out. 


This salt & it's cousins from the same company are nice for sprinkling on appetizers, desserts, more special things, or just  your hard boiled egg in the morning. We all deserve something special. 


3 comments:

  1. We use kosher salt also and recently ran out so have been using regular salt from who knows when. I need to start a new grocery list and put it at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm used to using the regular stuff in cooking! For taste I need to cut back my sodium.
    I thought we needed the iodine in iodized salt? I guess some people do.
    My mother was born in Salinas, CA, so I knew the name came from the word salt, and that in turn gave us the word salary, since salt was valuable and used as pay. I hope they got more than just salt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book looks great! Thanks for sharing the website link.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.