Saturday, April 25, 2020

Vegivore is the Way We Eat It's a Thing


I mentioned in my O post our diet has changed. Quite a bit. 
Best guess 60-70% of our meals are Vegetarian. 
We love meat & refuse to give it up entirely.

 Vegivore is what we are.

Researching the chemistry of eating vegetarian & the reported (?)
health effects on the body felt like a long rabbit hole.
You can find support for whatever way you'd like to eat: high fat, 
vegan, keto, intermittent fasting, Mediterranean, the list goes on & on. 
I'm a firm believer in common sense being the winning approach in most things.
I turned to the library to skim books recommended by my husband's 
doctor & friends. After I'd had enough of the research I went for the recipes 
& settled on few cook books that keep me going. 

17333291

Isa Moskowitz has an interesting story. 


Her book (one of many) has great tasting recipes. 
Her command of spices for flavor is the best I've found.
 Inside the book is visually wonderful. 
I'm a sucker for hand lettering & doodles.








This Test Kitchen book is loaded with info & reasons why a recipe works.
The cover veggie burger is the best!



Once you get familiar with the science it's easier to be improvisational 
with recipes & riff. There is a book for that too.  I've had this book for years. Once you get the hang of any cuisine the recipes become variations on a theme. 
You can get comfortable with swapping out ingredients, amounts, & flavors. 

Sally Schneider also authors 


A newsletter I have followed for ages. So much inspiration from her.


The Thug Kitchen books are a riot. You have to be comfortable with profanity as
their language is peppered with it. Pun intended. I find it hilarious. 

https://www.thugkitchen.com/

I'm so glad we started down this new food path awhile ago. Sheltering with these newer books has given me the opportunity to try lots of new meals that keep us well fed, healthy, and interested. 

Are you eating healthy while cooped up at home? Can you send me some cookies? 



8 comments:

  1. Yes we are eating healthy while cooped up! Your cookbook recommendations are sending me to Better World books so I can check them out and most likely purchase a few! We're rather like you- we don't need to give up meat...just do not need to eat it all the time. Usually once a week for meat once a week for fish and the rest is veggie based! We also do not need a huge honking steak- 4-5oz is plenty! Now for cookies: I make outrageously delicious Crunchy Almond Butter cookies. Just forget about peanut butter- try Crunchy Almond butter! Cheers! See ya Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I offered something of great use...sine food is a top priority around here. Yeah we have cut back on meat potions as well. 1 pork chop for 2 of us is now the norm. Your cookies sound wonderful. We try to ration the cookies as carbs can be so addicting! But we deserve a treat each day right?

      Delete
  2. My youngest Barbarian is on a very restrictive diet (fun when everything is restricted at the supermarket) so we're eating the best we can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds challenging!!! "Barbarian" I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Test Kitchen show is one of our favs! Recently bought a skillet they rated and has been good enough to get another. I bet their cookbooks are top rate as well.
    https://katytrailcreations.com/2020/04/25/variety-vamped-up-letter-v/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun post. That last book, Thug Kitchen, looks the most fun to me for some reason. Like it'd be a hilarious read.

    We're eating fairly healthy because my spouse is a chef (non-essential employer, so not working right now) and yeah, some days is dying to cook (healthy days) and other days won't go near the kitchen (mmm, potato chip mac and cheese it is...). Ha ha ha.

    I hope you and yours are staying safe and healthy during this difficult time.

    J Lenni Dorner~ Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge, Debut Author Interviewer, Reference& Speculative Fiction Author

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.