Thursday, April 2, 2020

B is for Bee House

Mason Bee
Isn't he gorgeous?




 This is a Mason Bee House.





 A friend made this for us as a Christmas present. Since Spring is almost here in Northern Michigan we can put it up outside soon. He spent loads of time on these  (he's made several) and they are delightful. Not only their natural appeal but the fact they help pollinators to stay safe. 
The link is the Michigan State Extension's instructions for building your own 
as well as how to manage these "bee hotels".  Interesting stuff. 

Without intending to the first two posts have been insect related. Hummm.
 Tomorrow will be different.




9 comments:

  1. I have a bee hotel (actually, I named it AJ's Bee & Bee) which is very similar for the Aussie native bees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link! I'm always interested in "natural" things in other places.

      Delete
  2. That is hilarious! May have to riff on that for ours. What are the Aussie bees called?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Riff away :) We have over 1700 species of native bee(!), so too many to name here, but this website lists the 10 major bee groups with photos (some are really pretty). The most common bee using our hotel is the masked bee, though.

    Australian Native Bees

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely bee, looks like more like a bumblebee than a bee, but I like it! We have Bee Hotels too in France, poor little ones need shelters.
    Quilting Patchwork & Appliqué

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! So cool! I think we have a hive on our roof. Which is fine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always tell myself to build a mason bee house, but haven't listened to myself yet. They are pretty even if bees never move in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I think it was a labor of love for our friend. Rather time consuming, not to mention gathering all the components he used.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.