Monday, April 6, 2020

Emboidery


E is for Emboidery

 

Lots of hand stitching in my projects these days. It is meditative,
 makes you slow down. You can get lost in it.  This is a good thing.

I think the cosmos wants me to embroider. I have acquired LOTS of embroidery floss from
three friends. First was my close art pal who was given a huge
 neatly bagged pile of floss from a friend. Next one had an aunt who was
clearing out her stash of unused art supplies. Finally was my paper making mentor
who was  decommissioning her studio.


You can't let something like this go unanswered & unused.

 

Somewhere I ran across a suggestion to use spent thread spools for floss. Brilliant!
With all the sewing I do I had quite a collection. Trying to use floss from the skein you buy
 is maddening as it tangles very easily.

I have dabbled in embroidery since I can remember. I saved this piece from a chambray shirt I embellished in college. Not sure why. Maybe so it could show up in this post?


I took a lovely class in Petoskey with Christine Mauersberger this past summer.
She walked us through several exercises to help create lines & images
 to use in samples of techniques.



Riffing off our finger prints.

We scattered salt onto black paper
then used french knots to recreate the density of the grains on fabric.

Quite time consuming This is as far as I got.

I've been having fun making pin cushions from old sweater pieces I've felted.
I then embroider the pieces before stitching together. They are filled with rice.



Do you have a passtime that engages your hands, gets you to slow down, and absorbs you?
I highly recommend it in these times of being at home.



11 comments:

  1. Wow! I have done a lot of embroidery .. that is my only skill with the needle and thread.. This is lovely work!! I remember doing straight lines of different stitches in our Craft class in school. Stopping by via the AtoZ list! Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that is your only skill with a needle that's pretty good. Hand stitching is much more skill driven. Thanks for stopping by. I jumped over to your blog, very thoughtful! Love connecting with folks all over the globe via the A to Z!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Makes sense. Anyone who is drawn to stitch might come up with this for "E".

      Delete
  3. I used to do so much embroidery. Not sure why I stopped. I still have the floss. I would do kits in the 70s and 80s, and my own on shirts and pillow cases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have started to make a baby quilt from all the teeny bits of fabric from other baby quilts. Funnily enough I keep finding other things to do...like blogging and picking up wind storm debris from this past winter and breaking them down into small bits for composting. Of course being sunny today it makes total sense! Cheers and take care see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have suffered from a rather squishy brain during sheltering. I jump from thing to thing most days. Speaking of birds(see what I mean about jumping around)we saw a lot of hawk activity yesterday.We think it was a harrier hawk. Then I saw it in flight on my walk in the park down the road.Now get back to your quilt :)

      Delete
  5. I don't embroider, but I do a lot of craft...when I have time. I scrapbook, sew, crochet, cross-stitch and latch-hook. I also play clarinet in a band which is kinda the same as crafting. It's very relaxing practicing. I really do need to find more time to do these things though (with everyone working/schooling from home I think I have less time than I did before!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. And you take the time to stop here every day & comment. I'm honored! Being retired and both "boys" live far away (no grand kids) I have plenty of time. Especially now. Thank goodness for all the stuff in my studio...almost too much. I think playing an instrument is quite a skill, the need for practice probably over rides some other pursuits?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crochet helped me to give up smoking many years ago. It ensured that I kept my hands busy and was distracted.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.