Thursday, April 26, 2018

'Writing Down the Bones" #AtoZChallenge




Published in 1986 it continues to offer great advice   I decided to go through the book make notes in margins, dog ear pages, & put it to use. Gasp. I am a firm believer that you should make a book your own. That means it's OK to mark it  up. There is so much good stuff for life as well as how to write.


I printed a copy of this short list of advise from Josh Spector.  
I use it every time I do a blog post. To get rid of "ing" is tough.

Delete the word “that.”

At least 90% of the times you use the word “that” can be removed from your writing and it will instantly make your sentence stronger.
Example: “You believe that I’m lying, but I’m not.” becomes “You believe I’m lying, but I’m not.”

Delete the words “I think.”

It adds nothing. Remove it to strengthen your point.
Example: “I think this is a good sentence.” becomes “This is a good sentence.”

Avoid words that end in “-ing.”

In most cases, the “-ing” softens your word and adds no value. Your writing will read better if you avoid it.
Example: “The experiences we’re seeking end up being underwhelming and even disappointing.” becomes “The experiences we seek often underwhelm and disappoint.”

Short sentences. Short paragraphs.

Most sentences can be cut in half. Don’t be afraid to have a two or three word sentence.
Keep paragraphs to less than three sentences.
White space is your reader’s friend.

Shrink your opening sentence.

Make it compelling, but keep it short and conversational.

Short post today. Getting tuckered out. Only three letters left.  I'm gonna make it.

What advise do you turn to for your blog posts? Or life in general?  Would love to hear.

 

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful advice. I need to work on the "ing" part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I catch myself every time have(ing) "it" in there, once in awhile I let it stand.

      Delete
  2. I know many of these, as a business writer, but I don't always follow them in my blog. That often becomes a conversational piece, and I write more like I speak. Fewer rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that! have to keep in mind I'm not writing the great American novel.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.