Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Surely you Jest #AtoZChallenge




Court jesters. I find them fascinating.  
Historically these "fools" played an interesting role.



I have been drawn to the imagery of the Harlequin character for ages.
He inspired me to create this Artist Trading Card.




It started with a little sketch for the the face I printed on hand made paper.




Then I went crazy with scraps of embellished paper for the body parts.




An accordion book by Kevin Steele
(click the link for more images of the book)
  about Commedia dell'Arte characters. He created it after a trip to Venice.
 I saw it in person at PBI where he taught us how to make this structure.

More on Kevin when we get to "P". Watch for it!
Did you realize the role Jesters played in history?





7 comments:

  1. Linda,

    LOL, love the topic. Looks like you had fun with your jester. The accordion book looks interesting. It reminds of a labyrinth in the above image but it really isn't, though. Did you make one of these, too? I'm not sure the role of a jester except to make the royals happy. Is that right or did they do more?

    ~Curious as a Cathy
    A2Z iPad Art Sketches 'Jars & Jelly'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! It was a several day workshop on how to create these. Love his creations. Jesters were a little like undercover spies, & a bit like late night talk show hosts...they could say anything about the current state of affairs & usually get away with it.

      Delete
  2. I love your jesters! I always find harlequins rather creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Why is creepy appealing? Humans are strange.

      Delete
  3. Thanks! These were a bit time consuming but I love the process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun...love the cards you created.

    Donna B. McNicol|Author and Traveler
    A to Z Flash Fiction Stories | A to Z of Goldendoodles

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.