Thursday, April 12, 2018

Knit & Purl #AtoZChallenge




I have recently returned to my love of knitting . 
I learned at a very young age from my Grandmother & Great Aunt. 


 

This is Aunt Mary.



The sweater coat I'm knitting. A friend made one several years ago & wore it to lunch. 
I was smitten, an understatement, and she was kind enough to lend me the book with the pattern.
There are many great tips & techniques in the book I never knew before.





First step is to get your skein into a ball of yarn you can work with.


 

 I used a long sturdy tube and masking tape for my winding tools. 
Who needs a store bought winder?


 


 
The cast on & bind off approach they show in the book
 make beautiful smooth edges on all sides.
 Wish I'd known these tips years ago. 




My friend went with me to her favorite local knitting establishment.
 Wool & Honey in Cedar, MI. The web site is fantastic. 
The 2 sisters who own & run the store are fun & so knowledgeable. 
That is where I purchased the yarn. 



Of course a new project leads to new supplies. I still have lots of needles from my grandmothers collection, but they are metal & I don't like the feel or sound they make.
 I also have a plastic set. Ick. I'm a grownup knitter now. 
These lovelies are made of birch. Lyyke, the Norwegian word for happiness, is the name of the company. They are smooth & beautiful to look at & to use. 



My friend has vowed to help me if & when I need it. I'm sure I will. 


Are there any knitters out there? Do you find it addictive? Calming? Inspiring? 
What other repetitive tasks put you in the zone?


8 comments:

  1. I haven't knitted in years. The hat I started for my husband is still in the basket and most likely covered in dust. Maybe if I return to it now, it may be done in 10 years! How ambitious of you to knit a sweater coat! I love the colour of the yarn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not saying how long it will take. If we had a long trip coming up that would be good, but we don't. I did take it in the airplane (see I post) last week end so that works. Hope the moths haven't gotten to that hat.

      Delete
  2. I come from a long line of non-knitters, so never learned! I do crochet, and when I've tried to knit get mixed up using two needles instead of one. There are some beautiful patterns out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just the opposite. I could never get the hang of crochet, or at least it didn't appeal to me as much. Those wonderful ladies taught me both. Have those knitters made you things?

      Delete
  3. That sweater coat is beautiful. I would love to have one, but knitting it is out of the question. :)
    http://findingeliza.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can find a REALLY good friend with lots of time on their hands, you just provide the yarn.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful coat! Now I need to knit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could inspire you. Go make something fun.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.