Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Pop Up Books #AtoZChallenge



Pop up books have been around a very long time. Some history here.



 Carol Barton taught a class in the construction of pop up components at PBI a few years back.
She brought the old Pinocchio book you see in the 2 pictures above. 



 We learned the intricacies of many of the ways you can make paper
  move & come up off the page. The flower is a students creation.


I have a copy of one of Carol's books with lots of great examples & instructions.





Pop up books are made by "paper engineers".
The link takes you to info about a woman with an amazing collection.



Bruce Foster had an exhibition in our local Dennos Museum.
He has done work for several movies and main stream publications. The castle was in "Enchanted".




  Kevin Steele's creation The Deep, his masters thesis, is spectacular. 
You can watch a video of the book being unfolded through the link.
He was featured in my F post. 

 I went to a link in the Wikipedia History for the Moveable Book Society
Kevin's book was the cover image. 

Do you find the idea of moveable books intriguing?



  

10 comments:

  1. I love pop up books! It almost broke my heart when my daughter threw her pop up Alice in Wonderland into the bag for the library book sale. I waited until she wasn't around, dug it out, and hid it for years down the road when I'm sure she'll be happy that I saved it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never given much thought as to how long pop-up books have been around... or even how to make them... or the people who make them ("paper engineers"). Very interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few of the book artists I've taken classes from have shared their collections of pop ups. They are amazing. Especially the older ones. The time that goes into the design & creation...like many artists you have to be a bit reclusive to pull it off.

      Delete
  3. WOW! I'm going to go check out your F post.
    I loved pop-up books as a kid, and was always very gentle with them so as not to break the different tabs and pieces, but somehow they were always broken. There were 5 kids in my family, so I can always cast blame elsewhere. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed you knew to be gentle. But they are fragile. I'd be getting the masing tape out to fix them, but with 5 kids....probably not. Wow. Love the name of your blog! I am a huge Trekkie. Hubby too.

      Delete
  4. I adore pop-up books and love the examples you've shared. The old Pinocchio looks like quite a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pop up books are amazing. I would love to actually turn the pages and look at each spread of Pinocchio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being able to see these older books in person is a treat for sure. I love dissecting how things were put together.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.