Saturday, April 2, 2016

Black

The "color" Black is actually the absence of color. It absorbs all light so nothing is reflected back for us to see. 

I heard a piece on the radio just a couple days ago about a current exhibit at the Getty. The work of French Artists, some well known others not. All black & white images. "Black can be intense and dramatic," says Timothy Potts, director of the Getty. "I mean it's dark, it's the color of the night, of the unknown, of the scary."
http://www.npr.org/2016/03/30/470578816/for-19th-century-french-artists-noir-was-the-new-black

 Frank Skiles is an artist who uses black with great effect in my humble opinion. Check out his art quilts.

There is nothing more appealing than a simple composition of black Sumi ink & brown Walnut ink on white paper. These three images are my creations. The first is a packet of small size "cards" cut from larger pieces of mark making play.
                                                                     Accordion open
                                                                Accordion closed

This little guy has been one of my favorite black objects to have on my mantle. A designer once told me you need to have something black in an arrangement. It gives your eye a chance to rest.
Speaking of rest I'm glad Sunday is a day off so I can get my thoughts together for the next few letters in this blogging challenge.  Wish me luck.

5 comments:

  1. Nice thoughts about black.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore the Skiles art quilts - they are dark, grainy and gritty. Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Black is incredibly powerful and I love that you chose it for your inspiration today! I like the concept that it gives your eye a chance to rest...that's so true. As a designer, people are often concerned with "white space" and have a hard time understanding the value of black - which can actually be much more pleasing than the bright onslaught of white, due to it's very nature of being "the absence of color", as you stated.

    I can't wait to read what you have to share next, after you collect your thoughts, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of having something black in arrangements. That is kind of symbolic...
    Great post!

    @TarkabarkaHolgy from
    The Multicolored Diary
    MopDog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Black is as powerful as is white.. i loved the images you brought here.

    http://serendipityofdreams.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.