Monday, July 8, 2019

Workshops Part 3 PBI Laura Wait



My third & final class at PBI was with the talented, fun, & saucy Laura Wait.


I have been an admirer for some time & jumped at the chance to take a class with her. So glad I did!

 
Our first exercise was to tape a brush to a LONG stick, go outside with a large sheet of paper
 and Sumi Ink, proceed to make BIG marks on the paper, flip paper over & rub it around on the grass (if you want, which I did). Phase one of mark making.
 

After that we introduced color, shape, hand writing (not necessarily legible) translucent color, dirty sumi water, unusual tools to make marks with...play & experimentation was the name of the game.


 The results were as varied as the personalities in the room.










 

 This grouping is all from my pages. 
It was great to have a soft wall to pin everything up for viewing. 


We were encouraged to bring some sort of symbolic marks along as a jumping off point for marks.
I discovered a Hobo Language. Developed during the depression as a form of communication among the Hobo community.  It's simplicity was perfect for my purposes. 
The all red pages are direct riffs on the Hobo symbols.



One of my pages, a personal favorite.

 These types of exercises get you loose & allow you to play which provides some amazing results.

 

Being attentive to the details of drum leaf book construction. 
That would be another entire post. Lots of accuracy is needed. A departure from the mark making.


From there we created several books each from the cut up pages. Size & orientation is up to the individual. Lots accomplished in a 4 day workshop. That's how PBI rolls.


 Happily displaying our completed books.

Next workshop review, my 3 days in Petoskey with Christine Mauersberger.



1 comment:

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.