Tuesday, June 16, 2015

PBI Inspiration


It's time to share some of my experiences and thoughts on PBI 2015, short for Paper & Book Intensive,

 Held each year at Ox-Bow,  just outside Saugatuck MI. The grounds are a beautiful natural setting. The Kalamazoo river as it dumps into Lake Michigan is the backdrop.





Over a total of 11 days participants take 3 classes. This year I chose clam shell box construction, digital book content & creation, and accordion craziness. My title not the instructor's.


Of about 70 total attendees we had several countries and many states represented. Everyone gets to the studios early and stays til late at night. I loved this schedule for day 3, sums up the pace.


There were several newbies to book binding as well as seasoned veterans in the world of books & paper.

Mary Uthuppuru taught the box class. It was VERY time intensive and loads of fun. Making a clam shell box is something I've wanted to learn for some time, and we got so much more in this class.

 
In the book content class we did several writing exercises and played with loads of images we all brought to help generate ideas. Tate Shaw, our instructor, shared his great personal book collection with us.


 I will share more over a couple more posts. So stay tuned and please comment!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.