Monday, April 20, 2020

Quilting Hero Carole Harris

http://www.charris-design.com/index.html


Not long ago there was a wonderful exhibit at the Dennos Museum.

Carole Harris is a Michigan quilting artist. Detroit native.  
The link is to a great little video of her talking about her process. 
Describing her quilts as her children struck home with me.



 I dove into the details of her quilts. The hand painted sections.



 The earthy colors and contrast.

 


 Layering of fabrics with cut outs & hand stitching.

 

The texture she creates is stunning. Makes me want to go hand color a lot of fabric, 
cut it up, hand stitch it & layer.  I can only imagine the time involved.

What activities are taking you to a good place these days?

P.S. This post has been updated to correct the spelling of Carole's name. It has an "e". 


8 comments:

  1. Wow, that handpainting is gorgeous (and a lot of work I'd imagine).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is my first visit to your blog?? I posted quilt themes three years in a row but changed it up this year to reflect on my day job. Still quilting, sewing and crocheting tho ;) Look forward to reading more of your posts!
    https://katytrailcreations.com/2020/04/20/quantity-quarrels-quiet-quarantine-letter-q/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed you find time to look at blogs & blog yourself with child care 24/7 in the mix! Keep those hands moving & I'm glad you found me.

      Delete
  3. I am a quilter...just make baby quilts and have made about 100 over the past 14 or so years. You can seethe latest one I just made on my other blog https://katheworsley.blogspot.com/2020/04/its-awww-monday-april-20-2020.html Take care and I'll drop by tomorrow! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy stuff! Love!

    I totally agree with the comment that you wrote on Blogging A-Z's "Q" post today. Like you, I don't understand the dearth of visual artists in this challenge. I've tried pushing it on my myriad social outlets, where I have many creative pals. I get crickets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the detail - wow.
    I'm not a quilter but I appreciate the art form.
    Q

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these multi-layered creations - such depth and beauty. Thanks for the introduction to her work.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.