Thursday, April 19, 2018

Quilting #AtoZChallenge




I am not a quilter. But an admirer of those who create art quilts.



A local quilting celebrity is Ann Loveless
Grand Rapids, MI has a huge art event every summer. Art Prize. Ann won the big jury prize one year. then the peoples choice award the next. Her quilts for Art Prize were a blend of large scale photography & quilting. She collaborates with her husband, the photographer.  Above is a smaller quilt by Anne using her technique of netting stitched over the tiny fabric pieces 
she uses to create an image.




While visiting younger son in Bend, OR a few years ago I discovered the 
Sisters Annual Quilt Show  was being held.  What a spectacular quilting event. 
The entire town is covered indoors & out with quilts. 



The key note speaker that year happened to be a quilter from Beaver Island in Lake Michigan.  
Gwen Marston. Serendipity. 




The stitching detail here blows me away. 




This was my favorite of the entire show.


The back of the Hippos.



 Close up of the faces.



Another example of a free stitching extravaganza. So impressive. 


Do you admire the expertise of others in their chosen art form?  
Do you want to know how it's done?

9 comments:

  1. Quilting has so many elements to it - all so different and yet still beautiful. I loved those flowers at the beginning - and the work on the hippo was so delicate.

    Leanne | www.crestingthehill.com.au
    Q for Quality not Quantity

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially like the photo from the sisters quilt show! How fabulous to decorate the town with quilts!
    https://cheryllennox.blogspot.com/2018/04/a-to-z-q-is-for-quince.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI, Linda - I am not a quilter, but I wish that I was. (I sadly have a difficult time sewing buttons back on....so quilting is beyond "a stretch" for me). I love the photos that you shared. I had to look at several of them twice in order to tell that they were quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the pictures. Good thing I took the "good" camera. I love your blog by the way. True adventurers, traveling the way I like to see, getting into the place where you are.

      Delete
  4. I love Gwen Marston and her "liberated quiltmaking" changed my quilting life! I would so like to get to the Sisters show someday, but it doesn't seem too likely. It's an awfully long way to go. Thanks for these pictures. They are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are familiar with Gwen M. I would love to take a class from her. Although I don't need another fiber obsession. Sisters is a LONG way from you, but the area is worth an extended trip. BEnd & the entire area between there & the coast is beautiful, then there's the coast...

      Delete
  5. I love quilts and enjoy going to quilt exhibits but I don't have the patience it takes to comlete one. I have bought several at quilt auctions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo quilt auctions. Do you disply them or use them or keep them tucked away? Just curious.

      Delete
  6. The quilt show in Oregon sounds like it would be a fun and inspiring one to see. The quilting done on the hippo is incredible! Such creativity and detail!

    Ann
    https://harvestmoonbyhand.blogspot.com/2018/04/hobbies-that-begin-with-q-blogging-from.html

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.