Saturday, April 14, 2018

Marbled Paper #AtoZChallenge




Marbled paper is an interesting art form. It dates back to at least the 12th century in Japan. 
It was decorative as well as a theft deterrent. 
This book from 1881 revealed the process to the general public for the first time.  


 



Great Article on the history & uses for marbling with links to more information & images.



End papers are a typical application. Here in one of my little journals. 









When I attend a workshop or conference & there are marbled papers for sale I can't resist.
These are a few sheets from my stash. They make me drool.







Were you aware of the art of marbled paper?
 Do you find the history fascinating?




5 comments:

  1. I didn't know this history. I have made marbled paper before. It's wonderful. Makes beautiful cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love marbling paper! It's a nice project to do with kids too. I'd never given its history any thought before today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Linda! My husband made a large marbling tray, with combs, as my Christmas gift. I'll be taking it to retreat at the end of May. We'll have a total of four trays for the 20 participants to use over the five days. I've marbled before, but it's been awhile. I love reading whatever I can find about marbling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making the paper marbled is also interesting!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.