Tuesday, April 17, 2018

O is for Ovals #AtoZChallenge


Geometric shapes are one of my things. Ovals especially appeal to me.
 The above image is the cut outs from a two part stencil shown below.
I use them as a resist in mono printing. 
With layers of paint on them they are sturdy & look great on their own.








  I frequently use ovals as one of the elements on my hand painted fabric.



I had to learn how to make a perfect oval for my cloth creations. Here is the formula.
 I'm a visual person & YouTube is my friend. I now have a pile of ovals in different sizes.



 To pin & sew the ovals as a base is tricky. I've done enough they are easier now.


As the base for a bag I prefer an oval over a circle. 
Makes them more organic in form. 




What's your preference, organic or geometric shapes?


7 comments:

  1. Your fabric-printed fabric is beautiful! I can see why you enjoy working with ovals.

    Ann
    https://harvestmoonbyhand.blogspot.com/2018/04/hobbies-that-begin-with-o-blogging-from.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda,

    I haven't ever thought about it but perhaps organic shapes are more appealing to me. Whenever you get a chance, you're invited to check out my daily A2Z iPad Art Sketch of a big-eyed owl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fabric design is really lovely. I like all kinds of ovals, circles, swirls, swooshes, spirals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking that combo of words should be my "S" post for next year...spiral swooshes & swirls. Glad you like the designs.

      Delete
  4. Lovely and informative, I love sewing and quilting, until my sewing machine decide time to break ( was copy of the Singers), and the one I have now is broken - life just got too busy with the internet. Love what you do! I'm posting in A2Z about drawn lines, and sewing has the stitching lines with the threads. Did you put the design on the bag? Many years ago, I made a bag by weaving and lined with silk, and still have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do. It starts with plain canvas, then the base color added by moi, then the "tension" of deciding which of my stencils to combine for the next 1 2 or 3 elements. I love the whole process.

      Delete
  5. I am going to have to share this with a friend who does quilting and intricate oversewing using and attachment arm. Thanks for the oval tip!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.