Friday, April 12, 2024

 

Kintsugi 

 

The repair of broken things. 

Kintsugi - The Japanese Art of Golden Joinery

The Asian art refers to repairing broken pottery with gold

However I feel it has applications everywhere. 

"a metaphor for embracing your flaws and imperfections." 

As Leonard Cohen said

“There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in.” 

 My husband can fix just about anything..& does 

With me it's sewing. go figure. 

 I have a stash of insignia cloth from my days as a sail maker. 

This stuff is priceless. Sticky back, peel & apply. 

Used it to repair hubby's rain jacket.



Some of my hand painted fabric was used to cover a 
hole scraped on the neck of this jacket.

 It's like new otherwise. 




Over the years I have & still do turn pants into shorts. With 2 boys growing up it was the solution to growing legs that made pants too short. 

Now it's just turning hubby's grubby pants into gardening shorts.
 
Plus he is always kneeling when doing projects & wears out the knees. 

Old jeans I save for fiber art to the rescue. 

Don't get me started on appliances & furniture...

 

3 comments:

  1. The pottery repaired with gold is beautiful. A lot of daily things can be repaired and work just as well as before. Pottery though? I don't like it when it's broken, cracked, or chipped. Unless it was repaired with gold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda, there's something so rewarding as seeing something ready to toss get a little more life. Wonderful to see the photos too.

    With smiles, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to repair things too. I have never had luck with my hubby's jeans- the patches come right off even when I sew them.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.