Saturday, April 6, 2024

 

 

 Foraging

 

I am fortunate to live in an area with lots of opportunity to find, pick, process some of our own food. 



              North Fox Island is one of our favorite places. Last Spring we harvested lots of        ramps there. 


 

In the township park a few minute walk from our front door there are black mulberry trees.   Picked lots of them & ate them fresh. 

 

                   

                     Just up the road on Old Mission Peninsula there is a blueberry farm.                              we take advantage of the u-pick option and we freeze about 30 lbs. which is just about right to last until the following years crop. 
 

 #AtoZChallenge2024

4 comments:

  1. Growing your own food is no doubt interesting. I tried a vegetable garden decades ago, and now the only thing we grow is flowers. And most it's my husband who does the growing. I do the enjoying. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandfather use to plant a huge garden. I would "forage" through it and pick/eat cucumbers and carrots. Great letter F post.

    Stopping in from A-to-Z: https://brewingcoffeetwistingwordsbreakingpencils.ca/2024/04/06/fun-fair-food/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Around here, like many other places, the wild blackberries run rampant. Some keep coming back in my yard, so I've decided to just leave them. They aren't near the house. They can take over. Miner's lettuce grows as a weed in my yard. It's pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those berries look delicious! My kids like foraging as well! My husband is the one that sticks to picking out the mushrooms because that can get iffy but he is pretty good at identifying them. Those ramps look incredible and I love the way you are preserving them.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.