Saturday, April 22, 2017

Spoons A to Z Challenge



A simple tool. So versatile. You don't need a fork if you have a spoon. 
They also works of art. These were my mothers.
 I use them in the kitchen every day. The patina!


Part of "building an artful life", my theme, involves using things
 that you find beautiful in your everyday tasks. That practice can bring you joy.




These little beauties I found years ago. Had to have them.
 They went on my Christmas list & I was rewarded. Apparently I was good that year. 
Pounded pewter. Plus lots of artistic detail. Use 'em every day. 



I admire the hand made spoons of others. 



The 2 above examples are from Instagram.



Shanna Leino made these. Ebonized walnut, wow.



Would love to take a class to learn to carve wooden spoons.

Of course a class would require special tools. More art supplies. Oh well. 
At a workshop a few years back one person made the comment "We aren't artists, we're collectors of fine art supplies". Funny, but very true.


6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous spoons one and all. I totally agree with your assessment that having an artful life means using what you consider beautiful. Living treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While visiting Italy, I came across a window box with just a few flowers, and some spoons sticking up from the dirt. I felt mesmerized by the simple tarnished spoons in the planter.

    Trudy @ Reel Focus
    Food in Film: S’mores

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great. I had a keychain once made from an old flattened spoon, and I've seen wind chimes made from them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy wooden spoons and using things that once were used by my mother or grandmother.
    Finding Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all those spoons! Sometimes the simplest things are the most beautiful. :)

    A to Z 2017: Magical and Medicinal Herbs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use a wooden spoon for all my pressing in printmaking. The back has become quite shiny with rubbing.
    Alphabet of Relief Block Printmakers

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.