Wednesday, April 5, 2017

All Dolled Up A to Z Challenge


 I was introduced to Art Dolls about 20 years ago. Fabric remains my favorite medium and art dolls offer endless opportunities to play.







I have a copy of this book & still love pouring over the details of all the collaborative dolls
 made by the participants.








 Using a section of fabric from a silk screen print I did in college, feathers from my husbands bird hunting successes, and beads I made this Native American doll for a fund raiser.



 Raised on Betsy McCall dolls I used that as a jumping off point for a 
submission to a fiber art exhibit I entered last year.
 Here is a link to the rest of the story about this doll & her outfits from an earlier blog post.


This Jester is only a bust done as an Artist Trading Card , but I think he qualifies.


One that hangs from a hook on the pegboard in my studio.


A true master of the craft is Mr. Finch.

 I have a rather large collection dolls saved on a Pinterest board with plans to
 play with lots of designs.

 


The Crone was an elaborate pattern and my first attempt at doll making. 
She gets to come out and play every Halloween.
 


 Her curled up toes, hand dyed dress, & bloomers are fun. 



16 comments:

  1. It is funny, until very recently I hadn't heard about art dolls, and now I am hooked!

    I am SO in love with the crone!!!
    In my house she would come out all year :)

    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Good luck on the rest of your A to Z challenge

    Sylvia @ The Creative Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see someone else is hooked on Art Dolls. Your posts on self care are full of good advice. I'll be watching.

      Delete
  2. Art dolls are on my to try list. I have worked with the idea digitally but not the 3d touch and feel ones. Maybe sometime. You have some inspiring ones shown here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to see your digital versions! I have a bunch of interesting faces saved to play with in 2 D

      Delete
  3. I find dolls somewhat creepy (old childhood fear), but I do love the creativity here. Especially the rabbit, and the crone is wonderful too. :)

    A to Z 2017: Magical and Medicinal Herbs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I don't want to keep anyone up at night!Loving your herb posts by the way.

      Delete
  4. This is the first I have heard of art dolls! I am loving them! So much! So creative, unique, and full of life! Thank you!

    http://authenticallylivinglife.blogspot.com/2017/04/d-is-for-decisions-atozchallenge.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind words, thanks. Glad you made the "Decision" to do the A to Z challenge.

      Delete
  5. Fabulous collection! Betsy McCall is my favorite. Thanks for sharing.

    "Female Scientists Before Our Time"
    Shells–Tales–Sails

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. Your little history lessons in the challenge are wonderful.

      Delete
  6. I remember those Beaver Island dolls.
    Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might. I almost put a picture of the whole doll gang in the post. Such a fun project.

      Delete
  7. Linda, I haven't heard the terminology "Art Doll" but I believe I've seen these before. I always wanted to make rag dolls for my daughters but never got around to doing it. Your featured dolls are quite creative and involved. Well done and interesting post! Thanks for easing this way for a peek at today's Art Sketching Through the Alphabet with the letter "E" (elephant, eagle, elk). Yesterday I shared dog sketches for the "D" prompt if you'd like to drop in for a pick at my lab pup, terrier, and dalmatian. Have an electric day a2zing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, Thanks for following along. Love your Eagle!!! Trying to get ahead on the posts as April is proving very full for me. I think I got this.

      Delete
  8. Have you made these? They are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, they are all mine. Over a several year period. I'm not done yet. Ihave a rather large Pinterest board devoted to dolls. I just love 'em. I was never into traditional girlie dolls...ever.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.