Thursday, April 13, 2017

Knitting A to Z Challenge


Child's sweater I made for my first son, who is now 33. You do the math. 

Knitting
 Yeah, it's another thing I do.  I will admit I haven't done much in the past couple years, but it's on the list to revisit in earnest during retirement. Which happens to start in 2 weeks!




                                                                                 I  learned to knit from these fine ladies. 
My maternal grandmother (Rt) & her sister (Lt).
 My grandfather was a tailor. I think I come by the fiber obsession rightfully.



 An ambitious project. I love this design. The penguins are so whimsical. I enjoyed the focus it took to follow the pattern.


Ravelry is a wonderful site to peruse for patterns & inspiration. Image above from their site.
Patterns, yarns, discussions, designers, it's all there.The image above is from them. Free to sign up. 
Of course I have a large Pinterest board devoted to knitting patterns I drool over.



Knitting is relaxing, meditative & tactile. So transportable hence a great endeavor for travel. Then there is the gifting potential. All great stuff in a world where using our hands to create something can be a lost pass time, but is so important to being human. Would you agree?


11 comments:

  1. I don't know how to knit, but every now and then I drag out a crocheting project... an afghan I've been working on since 1975. I'm gonna finish it any year now.

    Trudy @ Reel Focus
    Food in Film: Kibble

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You go girl! I have a trunk full of projects, some from college, and I'm 64! I have purged a lot in the last few years.

      Delete
  2. Agree you to the core Linda! Appreciate the patience, creativity and hard work that you must have put together to create these pieces of warmth and care! Each one must be having a story to tell!
    I have seen my mother working wonders with knitting. And how can I forget her contentment when she saw us wearing her creations.
    But unfortunately, I never took it up from her. Even at the age of 73, she knits... this time around for her grand children!
    ------------------------------------------------
    Anagha From Team MocktailMommies
    Collage Of Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't knitted for years. I love your jersey for your son, as well as the one with the penguins. So clever! K is for Kindle and KDP as you Build a Better Blog. #AtoZchallenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No reason your son can't pass that on to his son. How cool would that be? Handmade just doesn't wear out nearly as fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That penguin sweater is so beautiful! Occasionally, I like to knit but I admit that I prefer crocheting. It's very relaxing and it's fun and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knitted one very long blue scarf when I was in college. It served me for many years. I haven't knitted since. My mother used to knit a blanket for each of my children when they were born.
    Finding Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary knits and crochets, and loves it. Her cousin's wife showed her the basics, and she taught herself from there, with a little help from Elizabeth Zimmermann. She's been working on brioche stitches and Estonian lace lately. She's really quite good.

    John Holton
    A to Z Challenge Co-Host

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like knitting and often have several things on the go at once - at the moment I am knitting little hats for Innocent drink bottles as each one earns money for Age UK to help elderly people in Britain. I am also knitting simple lap blankets for Alzheimer patients which can easily be done whilst watching TV. However, I also have a scarf and two different sweaters in my knitting bags and baskets too that I should be trying to finish but need me to concentrate on! My mum taught me to knit and I have tried to help my DD learn but she is yet to take it up.
    Lovely to have found your blog via the A-Z Challenge - http://pempispalace.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/k-is-for-kids-kingdom.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I started to knit in 2014(self-taught). My Ravelry username is "IamEva".
    -----
    Eva - Mail Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your penguin sweater is fantastic! I have tried to learn to knit, but so far have been unsuccessful.

    Today's focus is on Maris V. Snyder, one of my favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.