Friday, April 14, 2017

Lettering Arts A to Z Challenge





It's a huge topic. It encompasses so much. Calligraphy, Mark Making, Pencil, Copper Plate...






Letter forms can be modern or ancient and do not have to be legible to be beautiful and evocative.


This little gem is the 1941, 14th edition of the Speedball Text Book. 
It was my fathers. He was a sign painter as a young man.
The 24th edition is available today here. First published in 1915.








One of my many reference books for lettering. This one is a favorite. 



You see "Modern Calligraphy" all over these days. 

The Postman's Knock is a site I follow. She has fantastic tutorials, work sheets, supply reviews & ideas for calligraphers of all levels.



10 comments:

  1. Me too, I follow The Postman's Knock. Sometimes I draw envelopes inspired by this site, but I haven't started with calligraphy yet. That will be one of the next steps!
    -----
    Eva - Mail Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried calligraphy once. Much harder to do than it looks, especially with arthritic hands. Find me here. LINK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried calligraphy once. Much harder to do than it looks, especially with arthritic hands. Find me here. LINK

    ReplyDelete
  4. I particularly like that blurred page. I would frame that on it's own.
    Interesting stuff, thank you.

    (and happy A-Z'ing)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vaguely remember receiving a set of calligraphy pens once. I did not stick with it long enough to learn it.

    Finding Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful you have your father's copy of the Speedball Text. Lettering is such an interesting topic. I need a whole lot more practice (like lifetimes!) to master calligraphy, but I delight in playing around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have done some calligraphy in the past and think I might return to it. It takes patience and practice to master something I do not always have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh I really have a lot of catching up to do once this challenge is over. There's something to be said about good lettering

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the visit it was very kind . . .I am running a bit behind on my return visits. Its that real world it is full of things I need to do . . . There are some very cool fonts about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes my C post in the challenge was calligraphy - I do love it as an art form and I also have various books of fonts - especially love vintage ones that so encapsulate that particular era :) https://pempispalace.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/m-is-for-maddening-melancholic.html

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.