Sunday, March 6, 2016

Valentines Through the Years

When I pulled out my file with all my Valentine ideas, scraps, examples, I was amazed how long I've been making them for my girlfriends. Then I saw a post this year about "Galentines". Who knew it was a thing that had been given a name? Compliments of Parks & Recreation apparently. I like it.

                These are dated 2005...11 years ago. Kinda crafty but they got the message out there.



 I went crazy with images, cutting little bits, stamps, fonts. No idea how I found the time to do about 30 of these in 2009. Every one was a bit different. Which is my usual approach, but not always.



These two are not dated, but they came at about this point in the line up.
The top had several iterations seen above, the bottom was the same for all with a message on the back.


 These mobiles were a big hit. I still see them hanging in friends houses. A great way to use pieces of interesting hand made paper from the scrap bin. They are about 16" long.


These are images I used for a little fabric quilted Valentine. I printed the images on muslin then used a backing piece and satin stitched around the outside edge. Alas I have no pictures of these. But I love the images.



Below are possibly my favorite. They are big. Had to use an over sized envelope.  I had a couple different messages. The left hand with the ribbon was for my husband. For the Gals I used a quote from Anna Quindlen that I adore:
  
“What I expect from my male friends is that they are polite and clean. What I expect from my female friends is unconditional love, the ability to finish my sentences for me when I am sobbing, a complete and total willingness to pour their hearts out to me, and the ability to tell me why the meat thermometer isn't supposed to touch the bone.”



Years later I got to hear her speak at a "Writer's Series" talk, which caused me appreciate her even more.


I found inspiration for these online (where else?)  They are small. Some ATC size 
and some a bit larger 3" X 4". Acrylic paint on Arches cover, Stamps and Cra-Pas for embellishing the edges of the hearts.

I bought myself a new sewing machine for my 60th birthday so decided to play with free stitching for my Valentines in 2013. I painted muslin with water colors and used my printer to do the message on the back then free stitched the mini quilts.

These were last years edition. You may have seen them here before.  I used my Gelli Plate for the surface design. I don't know about anyone else but I find the plate rather finicky. Could be the dry air here in the winter, or the acrylic paint I'm using. Anyone care to weigh in & tell me what success or failure they've had with the darn thing? Please?

Almost done. Last up, this years offering. Very simple but I like that. Post card size, done with hand made stencils and Shiva Paint Sticks. I love these paint sticks. Oil based so a little messy, but silky smooth and a great edge with stencils.

If you are still with me thanks for looking at my "Galentines" through the years.

Comments please!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.