Monday, January 25, 2016

Fabric Carpentry

My latest fabric box is completed. I posted about smaller versions I did quite some time ago. This one is larger and has a lid. I thoroughly enjoyed getting out my sewing machine and working through the engineering of this.  Here are the previous boxes.

However...mistakes were made...had to take out stitching and rethink and re-cut on several occasions.
Here is the stuff I use for the rigidity of the box:

I created hinges with an extra piece of fabric to connect the bottom with the sides. I didn't have a large enough piece of the pelon o cut the bottom & sides as one piece. I rather like the hinge idea anyway.
You can see the "free stitching done to secure the interior fabric to the pelon.

Then I discovered my side pieces weren't quite big enough. Happy accident as I added pieces from a different fabric to make up the difference and like the result. All the exterior fabric is left over from upholstery projects.  

Here is the finished product. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.