Friday, May 4, 2018

Workshop Love & A to Z Thoughts




The A to Z Challenge 2018 is finished. I thoroughly enjoyed it. A long haul, but well worth it. What a great way to build momentum and generate ideas. Added bonus is finding like minded individuals you can build relationships with. There will be a "reflections" post here soon. That is the final step of the challenge each year. My stated goal after creating a blog post every day for a month is to post at least once a week, on Wednesday or Thursday. I know, today is Friday. Give me a break. I've been busy.





 I am proud to belong to the Pen Dragons Calligraphy Guild in Kalamazoo MI. They brought Amity Parks for their Spring work shop this past week end. She was so much fun! I see myself playing with letters in my journal while on airplanes in the near future. 
That is where Amity does a lot of her sketches. Good way to pass the time & get ideas.


 


 

 Over the two days we ran through lots of exercises in creating wonderful shaded letters with pencil.
The above are a pages from a fellow Pen Dragon.




 From Amity's sketchbook. In person, so much better. 
She Googled "splat" to see how to draw...a splat.

 

I posted about my love for this pencil after I purchased it awhile back.
Mechanical pencils are a lovely thing. 



Our supply list asked us to have one in a finer lead size than mine.
A .3, which gives you the ability to create very fine detail. Now I love them both.
It's all about the art supplies.


 Using contact paper to create masks for negative & positive space.




She showed us her steps in playing with the layout of words 
to come up with the best option for stacking letters.




Her shading makes the letters come alive! Notice the attention to the smallest droplets.




 Many thanks to my high school pals who put us  up for the week end on 3 Mile Lake in Paw Paw.
You guys rock. 


3 comments:

  1. It's such a nice feeling finishing the AtoZ and putting it to bed isn't it Linda? I'm writing a wrap up post for Monday and then blogging twice a week - I'm loving the spare time I've found again. If you write any non-crafty/personal type posts keep my Wednesday #MLSTL party in mind for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowza... those drawings are amazing. It sounds like an awesome workshop, I'd sign up just to see the artwork and techniques! And congrats on surviving AtoZ yourself, I'll get through your posts as time allows! Once a week is a great goal and I'll be sure to check in, I agree that one of the best parts of AtoZ is finding new people to keep in contact with! :)
    Jamie Lyn Weigt | Writing Dragons

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to follow along. Once a week is going to seem easy now. The workshop was great. Now I have another thing to do in my journal when I travel!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.