Thursday, December 7, 2017

Travel Always Inspires

A recent trip to Asheville NC and the Biltmore Industries art community 
 provided some inspiration.  The message above says a lot. The link takes you to the site of
 Daniel Essig, a book artist I've admired for years. His studio in in one of the historical buildings. The history of the fabric, tailoring & wood carving that took place there in it's heyday is worth a read.



The car museum had wonderful specimens ripe for photos. 
 





 The Grove Park Inn was a masterpiece of Arts & Crafts architecture, furniture, rugs, & light fixtures.







We spent a day in Asheville in galleries, shops & eateries. In a gallery of  the now defunct Black Mountain College they had several pieces by Ruth Asawa.  I had recently learned of  her wire sculptures in an Improvised Life post & was enthralled with her work. To see them up close in person was a real treat!

I have been busy in my studio with more fabric vessels, being a vendor in a local art fair, & an attempt to stay engaged while recovering from a little foot surgery. Photos of the vessels and art fair comments to follow soon.




1 comment:

  1. I do love your blog posts. I admire Dan Essig and have taken two classes from him. My most favorite piece of jewelry is a small rectangle with two stones in it. Don't you love the arts in North Carolina!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your feed back or questions about anything you find here.